“People of the world, spice up your life…..every boy, every girl, spice up your life!!!”
He he he I am laughing hysterically right now 🙂 I couldn’t help but belt out these lyrics from the good old “Spice Girls” from back in the day. They sure were a pretty hip girl band back then (lol)
Any who, I have been wanting to share this recipe with y’all for a while now as it is one of my favourites. The only thing is that I don’t normally measure what I’m doing and tend to mix up the ingredients depending on my current supplies / how I’m feeling that day etc.
BUT here is my latest obsession – have fun “spicing up your life” with your own spin on it too
Simo’s Spiced Granola
(Nutritious / Delicious / Wholesome/ Goodness)
*makes one ginormous granola batch to last for daysss
*always choose organic where possible
1 1/2 cups nuts of choice (I used brazil, almonds & cashews), chopped
1 cup seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, chia or a mix)
1 cup quinoa flakes (or rolled oats, puffed rice or buckwheat)
1 cup coconut flakes (or shredded coconut)
½ cup ground flax / linseed meal (optional for extra omega’s) *refer note
1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (can leave out if following sugar free)
2 – 3 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
generous pinch of sea salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon (my fav spice)
1 teaspoon each of ginger, cardamom, nutmeg and turmeric,
½ teaspoon vanilla powder (or liquid essence)
*note: if using ground flax meal, be sure to add at the end of cooking (once granola has cooled) as heating will destroy it’s precious nutrients
1. Preheat oven to 120 degrees
2. Mix together all ingredients in a bowl (except flax) and layer evenly on lined baking tray.
3. Place in oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes (or until beautiful and golden)
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
* Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks (or longer in the freezer)
* Serve with fresh fruit, coconut yoghurt, milk of choice or on top of a smoothie bowl 🙂
*Seriously better than store bought – no nasties or hidden sugar / preservatives – yay!!